Sunday, March 22, 2015

Berlin Memorial Reflection 3/19/15

Based on our Berlin Memorial Activity today in class, take a moment to reflect on what you learned about the Jewish decrees established during the Hitler years.

1- What did you learn?2- Why do you think this monument was built?3- What did you notice about the number of laws passed in certain years?4- Which restrictions do you think you would have the most trouble dealing with and why?


The day we were supposed to do the Berlin Memorial activity, I wasn't there. However, on Friday I looked at the wall and saw all the laws that were passed during the years. I've noticed a lot of things, some that were even shocking and absurd to me. I learned that from 1933-1945 Jews were discriminated horribly, and weren't allowed to do almost anything. As time went by, it just became worse. Jews were isolated from everything and could only do so much. 

As for the monument, I think it was built so it can remind people of how the past was, and how it should never occur again. 

When I looked at the laws passed throughout the years, I noticed a variety of things. I had taken notes on how many laws were passed during 1933-1945 and have concluded that the most laws were passed in the years of 1938 and 1942. In 1938, eighteen laws were passed against jews, and then in 1942 sixteen laws were passed. However, there were also times when there were no or very few laws passed. For example, in 1943 three laws were passed, while in 1944 there were none. Then in 1945 there was only one law that was passed stating that official acts documenting anti-Jewish actions were to be destroyed. This can be because at that time Germany was being defeated in world war II. 

I think the restrictions I would have most trouble dealing with is the one in 1939 where it stated that Jews can be thrown out of their homes without notice and without compensation. Just knowing that you can be thrown out of your home at any time is disturbing. People live there and grew up there only to be thrown out is just completely absurd. Another one I would have the most trouble dealing with is the law in 1938 stating that Jews are to add middle name of "Sarah" or "Israel". Now that just utterly disgusts me. I say this because your name is what makes you special and different from everyone else, and to be forced to add a specic middle name is just horrific. Especially since the reasoning behind this is too characterize from who is a jew and who is not. 


I commented on: AutumnJennaMarisa

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the middle name thing. I, for one, really love my middle name and I would hate having to change it. Great Blog! :)

    ReplyDelete