Thursday, February 19, 2015

Fangirl: Week of 2/16/15

Prompt: Who is your favorite character? Who is your least favorite character?
Pages Read: 0-102

Not long ago, I picked up the book Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. I've heard from mostly social media that it was a really good book, and it was actually popular. Plus the author also wrote the famous story Eleanor & Park, so I decided why not read her other works? This book is about how this girl named Cath is a major fan of Simon Snow. (from a movie/book series) Cath and her sister Wren ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids. However now that they're older and in college, Wren has left from the "fandom", and started living a real life according to her. Cath though, still can't let go and continues to write fanfiction. Since she's now in college and Wren left her, Cath questions herself if she can really start living her own life and contemplates if she is ready to leave Simon Snow behind. 

Now as for my favorite character, it's never really the main character. Therefore, in this case it's not Cath, but instead Levi. Levi is Reagan's (Cath's roomate)  friend I think. I'm not really sure the relationship between Reagan and Levi yet. I feel as though they're a couple, but then at times I'm just not sure. Anyway, Levi is funny, sweet, caring and smiles a lot. I picture him as a popular guy, but not like the ones that are  rude and cocky. He's nice to Cath even though she acts a bit awkard, and nerdy which I find really cute. In my personal opinion, I think it would be adorable if he was with Cath, but I also like him with Reagan which is really unusual. Overall, Levi is just a likable character, that is impossible to hate. 

It's really hard to pick a least favorite character because I don't really hate or dislike anyone in this story. Plus even if I did, they wouldn't even be in the book for more than a chapter or so. But if I had to choose someone that would often make me annoyed at them, it would have to be Wren (Cath's sister). Wren to me isn't really a good sister to Cath, and at times she could be annoying. For instance, their father has been having a hard time, especially since their mother left and recently, Cath and Wren because of college. Cath seems to be worried about her dad, but Wren always tells her that he's "fine". When he's obviously not. Wren doesn't check on her dad as often as Cath to see if he's doing alright, and it kind of bothers me. Not only that, but Wren basically abandoned Cath on her own. Even though Cath needs to learn how to live on her own, I still think Wren should be there when Cath really needs her.

I commented on: EmilyGianna, and Amelia



3 comments:

  1. Your blog was great this week! This book seems like a really fun read! I liked how you added that at times, you couldn't distinguish between relationships because I believe that this portrays real life in a lot of ways. Do you have any connections or things in common with the Cath?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was not aware that Rainbow Rowell wrote both Fangirl & Eleanor and Park! Have you read Eleanor and Park as well, or just fangirl? I have noticed that several other people in school (not just on social media) have read Fangirl as well. It truly seems to be a popular read. I definitely feel Cath is the type of person many can relate to. Great job Leanna!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you read Eleanor & Park? If so, which book do you like better?

    ReplyDelete