Monday, May 18, 2015

Final Reflection

Final Reflection - Please incorporate these nine questions into your final reflective blog for the school year. Keep in mind these questions should be focused on your time in Mrs. Larson's Accelerated English Language Arts classes.:)

1- What are the three most important things you learned this year?
2- What is something we did this year that you think you will remember for the rest of your life?
3- What was the nicest thing someone in our class did for you this year?
4- What is something you taught your teacher or classmates this year?
5- In what area do you feel you made your biggest improvements? What is something you accomplished this year that you are proud of?
6- What was the most challenging part of this year for you?
7- What was the best piece of writing that you did this year? Why do you think it is your best?
8- Of the books you read this year, which was your favorite? Why?
9- What advice would you give students who will be in this class next year?
The three most important things I've learned this year is the importance of knowing what's going on in the world. With the aow's we've been having, I've realized that there are so many things that we as people don't know about. Many of these things also happen to affect us and the world, and we don't really take that into consideration, which is why it is crucial that we are informed of what's going on. Another important thing I've learned is that a paragraph is NOT just 5- 6 sentences. A paragraph is a complete thought focused on a certain topic that develops a central idea. The third major thing I've learned is TIQUA. I found this organizational skill to be very helpful when writing papers, and formatting it the right way. In fact, I'm pretty sure I will use this again in high school.

Something we did this year that I think I'll remember the rest of my life is, "Tuesdays with Morrie". That book just had a massive impact on me, and how I now view life. I think it's filled with many great life lessons and aphorisms that will forever be ingrained in my mind. Plus I think I just related it in certain ways that many people wouldn't understand. For example, I think that in some circumstances as well I've connected with the character Mitch.

I can't really remember a certain nice thing that someone in our class has done for me this year. I'm not saying that there wasn't anyone that hasn't done anything nice, I'm just saying that there are a lot of things that people in our class have done something that have impacted me in a way. However, I usually find it pleasant when someone asks how I am, make me laugh, or just compliment a simple thing like my hair or something (even though my hair looks bad most of the time :D). 

I'm not really sure what I've taught my teacher or classmates this year, but a few times I would try to tell my friends not to stress so much. I know that a lot of my friends and classmates have gone through a hard time, and I just like to be there to reassure them that everything will be okay. Time will pass, and soon enough the problem would disappear if you know how to handle it right. 

I feel like I've made a big improvement in my presentation skills. For example, I'm really proud of my 8th grade speech. I just felt really confident, and I wasn't exactly nervous at all. Not to mention that I also got a lot of great feedback from it, and it was just a significant moment for me. 

Now, the most challenging part for me this year was getting my work done on time. This year I've just felt like there was a lot of going on. With everything going on at home and issues involving myself, I've found it really hard to get anything done really. I've made it a constant problem where I would do everything last minute. In fact, I'm probably doing it now. But overall, I've learned that I need to do what I got to do, and I have to do this myself. It's my choice to turn in things late, therefore it's me who has to deal with the consequences. 

I think the best piece of writing I did this year is the "To Kill A Mockingbird" essay. I think it's my best because I just loved the book so much, and there were just many themes in the story that were easy to understand. Not only that but in a way, I enjoyed writing that essay. The characters in the book were phenomenal and it was interesting to put them in a certain position where they would support the theme of the story. 

Of the books I've read this year, I think my favorite would have to be "45 pounds". It was a very inspirational story for me, and I actually connected to the main character a lot. In fact, even more than I expected. Reading the experiences of the character and what's she's been through, it's made me come into realization of what I need to do to become a better version of myself. Just like the character, who was on her journey to finally be a healthy and better person.

Some advice I would like to give to the students that will be in this class next year is that it will honestly be one of the best classes they would ever have. Despite the work that you have to do, it will be a fun experience. There will be great laughs, and memories that you can expect. You will also have a good relationship with your classmates since you will probably see them often. Overall, you will have to put more effort into things, and participate in things but just enjoy everything. Remember, Ms. Larson teaches you certain things for a reason! In fact it might come in handy one day in the future so pay attention!

I can't believe this might be my last blog..... Everything is happening so fast! :(


No comments:

Post a Comment