Sunday, March 8, 2015

Aow Impressions: Week of 3/6/15

This gallery walk was one of my favorite ones yet. I learned so much more than last time, and I was also able to hear almost everyone's topics. Some articles were also really similar, and somehow connected in a way. For example, Citlalli and Abdiel's articles. Citlalli talked about the ISIS girl Aqsa Mahmood who was originally from Scotland and had joined ISIS in 2013. She apparently recruits girls from social media such as, twitter and tumblr to also join ISIS. Now in Abdiel's article, he talked about the missing UK teens who had left their families to join ISIS. In fact, these teens had made connection with Aqsa Mahmood, the girl that was talked about in Citlalli's article. I found this to be rather interesting, and it actually surprised me how this recruiting of ISIS is spreading all over the world.

With all of the variety of topics I was also able to learn some outstanding facts and statistics. In Isabella Perez's article, she talked about the legalization of weed. She brought up a lot of good statistics/arguments that supported why weed should be legalized. For example, when they legalized weed in Denver, the crime rate went down by 17%. Not only that, but the author also brought up a good point when they said that the government can control the use of weed if it were to be legal. I found this topic to be very captivating due to the fact that there has been some controversy over this.

I commented on: Autumn Isabela Isabelle R


3 comments:

  1. Leanna,
    I liked how you talked about the connections between articles during our gallery walks! It's kind of cool when you can go to two or three different people and learn different things about the same topic so you can eventually put together an even bigger picture. Also, I agree with you when you said, "t actually surprised me how this recruiting of ISIS is spreading all over the world." It makes me curious as to how far ISIS can and will branch. Good blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leanna,
    This week was also my favorite gallery walk week. It was a good thing that I went to Citlalli's article first. Citlalli and Abdiel's spoke about the same topic but Citlalli's went back into who Aqsa is and Abdiel speaks of the other girls. Isabella's artcile was very interesting with the fact that, "when they legalized weed in Denver, the crime rate went down by 17%" That's crazy. I think this is one of the main reasons that I would want the legalization of marijuana to occur.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leanna,
    From the very first two sentences of your blog I already completely agreed with you! I learned so much more this week with the wider array of articles and there was so much more that I learned on such a wide spectrum of topics! Great Blog!

    ReplyDelete